I have a little sewing confession to make. It's taken me two years to finally get around to making a pillowcase dress. When I first found out we were having a girl I put it on my to-do list (2 years ago). Other little dresses flew off my machine, but somehow the little pillowcase dress kept getting bumped lower on the list. Which makes no sense, since I've made all kinds of crazy, elaborate stuff in the meantime, but a simple pillowcase dress has taken forever.
Poor little thing. But now it's finally blossomed. Literally that is.
I figured I'd keep my first attempt pretty simple - just plain cotton muslin that is self-lined, but to give it a little flair I added some flower details.
I picked apart a silk hydrangea and layered two blooms per flower and machine sewed them in a cascading shape down the front of the dress. But it still needed a little something, so I hand sewed small beads to the center of each bloom with some heavy duty thread, so they'd stay on tight (safety first kids!).
I threaded some matching wide grosgrain ribbon for the shoulder tie and now it's garden party ready.
The dress itself took me minutes to throw together & the hand sewing was an evening in front of the TV. I made it a bit long so my little peanut can still wear it next summer too. I think it was worth the wait/extreme procrastination and am now tempted to make a slightly larger version for myself to wear as a swing top. Hopefully I'll get around to it in less than two years this time.
Sharing this creation with my FAVE LINK PARTIES too so click HERE to check them out!