I thought it would make a fun summer outfit for my little miss, since the back is so nice & breezy:
This sweet bicycle print fabric seemed ideal (you may remember it from my Upcycled Hair Accessory Board). It's a lot cuter in person - the fabric is so pastel it doesn't show up well in the photos + the not-so-hot evening lighting wasn't doing me any favors.
The pattern wasn't complicated, but I wasn't thrilled at the thought of spending a bunch of time fiddling with facing pieces for the neck and curved back. It seemed easier & more versatile to completely line it and trim it with a contrasting FOE that would add some nice detailing too. Faster to make AND provides two looks!
Since I made mine fully reversible, I cut out two of each of the top pieces and shaved a bit off the neckline & armholes since I wasn't going to need a seam allowance:
Then after sewing the front & backs of each set together at the shoulders, I pinned the necklines together (with the wrong sides facing):
I encased the armholes in FOE (my old friend, fold over elastic) and did the same from the back around to the other end of the back. Then I did the same for the entire neckline. It's a lot easier to it this way than to try to get around the corners, which would make the FOE a bit thick.
And to make it easy to reverse, I used matching plastic snaps:
For making the shorts I followed the standard method, but to give them the cyclist bloomer-look, I finished them with FOE that I pulled taut as I stitched it in place:
This creates a nice which created a nice rounded look and by leaving the hem allowance, it gave them a cute knicker length:
Using a bright teal FOE as the trim really set-off the print & brought out the little teal bike seats:
Now I want to sift through my pattern stash and see what other changes I could make to re-invent some old designs!
I'm also sharing this with my FAVE LINK PARTIES.
Click HERE to check them out!