Thursday, July 19, 2012
Like most little girls, my daughter loves princess stuff. I always said we wouldn't get sucked into the "princess marketing machine", but she had other ideas, so we're embracing it. Like her collection of Disney figurines. She plays with them every day. Takes them everywhere too. In the car, to people's homes, she even sleeps with them (and they're not exactly easy to cuddle).
So I imagined a little princess bag. Custom made for her. Small enough for her to carry, but with wide sides for dimension. Something she could open wide, but zip-up, so things wouldn't tumble out.
Well everything everything was going according to plan. I installed purse feet for the first time:
I thought what a great tutorial it was going to be. Until I came to the last part, sewing the sides of the lining together to then pull it all right side out in one piece. Like I'd done countless times before. Except every time before I didn't have a zipper running down the sides of the bag, running into a short side piece and a lining attached to all of it.
Plus several stabilizers which made the main sides pretty inflexible. It refused to stay on my machine no matter how well I pinned or held it.
I grumbled, swore, felt ready to throw in the towel, but picturing my little girl toting her princess bag reminded me that I wasn't in it for an easy project for me or an impressive tutorial for everyone else, but making something she truly needed and wanted. So I slipstitched the side gaps by hand, turned it right side out and got over my perfection hang-up. And learned a lesson in sewing overconfidence.