This week of CraftShare is all about Fold-Over-Elastic (aka FOE). It is hands down one of my favorite sewing items because of its versatility. Here's the 411 on its super sewing powers:
It's an ultra soft elastic that has a seam in the middle so it can be folded (hence the name) and used much like bias tape. But besides being a way to finish edges, it's also ideal for adding stretch & gathering with ease. And it doesn't have to be folded, so it can be used for LOADS of crafting ideas too.
Here are just a few uses:
- Finishing hems, necklines, legholes & cuffs
- Underwear, cloth diapers or diaper covers
- Headbands/hair ties
- Flexible binding on toys, blankets, place mats, bags, etc.
As well as:
- Sewing bathing suits easily
- Fun & colorful jewelry
- Making awesome gathers
- Pacifier/toy clips and more!
And anything else you can think of!
- It comes in various widths, but the 1" is the easiest/most versatile to work with.
- Sew it on using a wide, triple zig-zag stitch set to 5.0 wide by 2.0 long
- Make sure the edge of the stitch is close to the open edge of the FOE so it won't curl up
- Can be sewn on like bias tape ~or~ stretched to create a gathered, stretchy edge
What I really love is that it comes in loads of colors - even super cute prints - to go with just about everything. It really adds that extra something as a colorful trim. Finding it can be tricky though - my favorite source is:
We're celebrating this week's CraftShare topic with a GIVEAWAY for a $25 gift certificate courtesy of FOE Your Diaper.
Here's How To Enter:
- Go to FOE Your Diaper and then in the comments tell me what your favorite colors/prints are
For additional entries (leave a separate comment for each one):
- Become a fan of FOE Your Diaper on Facebook
- Become a follower of Sew Can Do
- Become a fan of Sew Can Do on Facebook
- Mention the giveaway on Facebook or your blog
Every day this week I'll be sharing some all-new, super easy tutorials for fun stuff using FOE, but you can find some of my past FOE tutorials right now by clicking HERE.
Here's a sneak peek at what's coming up:
See you tomorrow for more FOE fun!