We're launching CraftShare 2011 with a week devoted to one of my favorite crafting mediums:
What is laminated cotton? The name says it all - cotton that's been coated on one side with a thin layer of laminate to render it water-resistant. Like traditional cotton, it can come in many colorful, stylish designer prints. It can be used like oilcloth & iron-on vinyl, but unlike those stiff & sticky fabrics, it does not contain phthalates (aka bad-for-you chemicals that leach out of some plastics), so it's safe for baby & kid's projects. And while it's soft like regular cotton, it's got more strength, durability & form.
The added bonus is that it's ideal for any item you want to be easy to clean. Just wipe with damp cloth and it's fresh again. I have found this invaluable when making things for my kids!!
It's perfect for place mats, aprons, raincoats, bags, etc. - anytime where you want something strong & easy to clean.
Tips on working with laminated cotton:
- Unlike plain cotton which is usually 44 inches wide, laminated cotton is 54-56 inches wide. So there's a lot more fabric to use!
- This is a wipeable fabric and usually can be washed, but it should be kept away from irons & dryers.
- Keep fabric rolled when stored, folding it will leave creases that can be tough to get out.
- Don't use pins - they'll leave permanent holes, so use bobby pins or paper clips to join fabrics.
- It won't smoothly move under the sewing machine presser foot & feed dogs, so there are 3 techniques that will join the fabric together and allow you to keep your sanity as well as stitch in a straight line: bias tape, stitching wrong sides out and using tissue paper over the fabric and then ripping off when done.
Tomorrow I'll be sharing a tutorial for making an easy, tie-on table cover with laminated cotton, but how about we get things going with a giveaway for some lovely laminated cotton?
Timeless Treasures is a a fabric manufacturer that produces stylish designer laminated cotton. Their prints are really colorful and lovely, so I'm a big fan of their fabrics. AND they have generously provided some of their all new laminated cotton prints for some lucky Sew Can Do readers!
There will be FOUR GIVEAWAY WINNERS. Each winner will receive a yard of ONE of these gorgeous new Timeless Treasures England Swings prints by Rebekah Merkle:
Two 1/2yd cuts of their newest, Just-Released, Strawberry Fruit-A-La-Carte print by Hoodie:
I wanted to give more people a chance to win, so with a single yard (worth $18 each) going to four different winners, more people can get their laminated cotton ideas going!
How To Enter:
- Head over to Timeless Treasures website, take a look around, then come back and comment on what you love about their fabrics
For Extra Entries (leave a separate comment for each one):
- Become a fan of Timeless Treasures on Facebook
- Become a follower of Sew Can Do
- Become a fan of Sew Can Do on Facebook
- Link to this giveaway on Facebook
- Blog about this giveaway