Tuesday, September 14, 2010
This is the dress I made for my daughter's 1st birthday. I wanted something that would be a pretty little tea dress & found a pattern for a tunic top with a cute front pleat and went for it. I added extra length to make it into a dress:
I love how the sleeves fold up to show the contrasting fabric and are accented with a little bow detail:
And the easy open back, which I made even easier by using snaps instead of buttons. This made it simpler to take off after it got covered with birthday cake:
The pattern used was the Savanni Tunic of Ottobre Design's Summer 2010 issue. The overall design of it is straightforward, but the directions seemed to over complicate things a lot. Maybe it's because I'm a visual person, but my one big gripe about this (and most of the other Ottobre patterns really) is that they just cram all the instructions into a tiny paragraph with no illustrations. And maybe one or two posed pics of the item, but never a total view, so you can't refer to that for help. Not very user-friendly. So if you're brand new to sewing....good luck.
I accidentally stitched the top & bottom layers together wrong the first time because I thought I was following the directions despite my crafter's sense telling me it wasn't right. And this was after reading & re-reading it several times. Ugh. So ultimately I find myself just assembling it as it makes sense to me instead of using their steps. Once I finished it I also felt like the front was too blah, so I added another button & bow.
Here's how it looked on (I didn't think to take a better picture!):
Perfect for the party & that's what counts!
Sharing this with my FAVE LINK PARTIES too so check them out HERE!