Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Since this will be my little girl's first Easter and my sewing skills are pretty good now, I decided I'd make her a fancy spring dress. I'd bought the fabric & pattern a while ago at Joann's when they were on sale. I liked the classic style and that the pattern also included optional bloomers, hat and pinafore.
I'm really pleased with how it turned out, but I'm 50/50 on whether I'd use this pattern again. It's Simplicity 4709. It just seemed overly complicated step-wise even though the dress doesn't look like it. Doing the back (where it opens part way via buttons or snaps) and the inner finishing of the collar could have been a lot simpler than they designed it.
It has this lap thing that means you have to fold over fabric and stitch a lot just to make the back opening wide enough to get it on & off. I'd probably just make it open all the way down the back next time to save some sanity which is also easier for dressing. It's also really long, so I'm glad I didn't bother making the matching bloomers as they wouldn't be seen at all, but I added a little ribbon I had on hand at the bottom for a finishing touch. She seems to like it:
Now I can't wait for Easter!